Local Authority Housing

Local authorities are the main providers of housing for people who are in need of housing and who cannot afford it from their own resources by way of making available a range of rented housing to meet a variety of accommodation needs. To be considered for local authority housing, you should apply to your local authority – Kerry County Council, Killarney Town Council, Listowel Town Council or Tralee Town Council - as the case may be.

Do I qualify?
If you are in need of housing and unable to provide it from your own resources, you may apply for local authority housing. In assessing your application, the local authority will take into account such factors as household size, household income, your present accommodation (if any), the condition of that accommodation and any special circumstances including age, disability, medical circumstances etc. Houses are allocated to applicants in order of priority, taking all circumstances into account.  The rents are related to your ability to pay.

Where do I apply?
Application forms are available from the Housing Department, Kerry County Council, Áras an Chontae, Tralee – Tel. 066-7183862/066 76183705  If you are interested in being considered for housing in any of the three Town Councils (Killarney, Listowel or Tralee) you should contact them at:-


Housing Department, 
Killarney Town Council,
Áras an Phádraig,
Tel. - 064-31023
Fax - 064-34187  

Housing Department,
Listowel Town Council, 
Áras an Phiarsiagh,  
Charles Street,
Tel. - 068-21004 
Fax - 068-22453

Housing Department,
Tralee Town Council,
Princes Quay,
Tel. - 066-7121633
Fax - 066-7124620

Explanatory Notes

Local Authority Housing Application Form



Social Housing Allocation Scheme

Kerry County Council, Co. Buildings, Rathass, Tralee

Phone: (066) 718 3500     Email: info@kerrycoco.ie

  • valid css
  • wcag 1.0 AAA compliant
  • xhtml 1.0