Documents Required for Imported Vehicles

Revised Vehicle Registration Purcedures:

The Revenue Commissioners have appointed the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) to carry out a range of vehicle registration functions on their behalf.

From 1 September 2010, it will no longer be possible to register a vehicle at a Revenue Registration Office (VRO). Instead, the vehicle must be brought to an NCT Centre for registration.

You must book your appointment with the NCTS within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State and have completed the registration within 30 days of the vehicle entering the State.

For further information on how to register your vehicle visit:

Information relating to Vehicle Registration Tax is available on:

Documents Required for first time taxing of imported vehicles:

• In all cases RF100 Form fully completed and signed by registered owner must be submitted.

The following are required for vehicles other than Private Cars:

Commercial / Goods Vehicles must submit a valid weight docket from an authorised weighbridge issued within the past 3 working days.
• Commercial Vehicles under 1524kg must complete RF111A Goods Only  Declaration at a Garda station (available from the Motor Tax Office or a Garda Station) and submit with one of the following as supporting documentation:

  • Original Commercial Insurance Certificate
  • Original Notice of Tax Registration Form
  • Evidence of registration for VAT

Note: where a person is an employee and uses the vehicle solely in the course of their business / trade, his / her PPSN may be accepted on the RF111A form. A letter from the employer on headed paper stating that the vehicle in question will be used exclusively in connection with their employment must accompany the application.

Goods vehicles 1 year old or more regardless of whether taxed Privately or Commercially require a DOE Pass Statement from an Authorised Department of Environment Test Centre, the reverse of which is to be signed by the current registered owner. The current fee of €6.00 for Light Goods vehicles (up to 3500kg) applies for the issuing of the Certificate of Roadworthiness and €13.00 for Heavy Goods vehicles (in escess of 3500kg).                                        

Note: In order to tax a vehicle at the Commercial / Goods rate, the vehicle can only be used as a goods carrying vehicle in the course of a business/trade and cannot be used at any time for social, domestic or pleasure purposes.

• In the cases of Public Service Vehicles (PSV vehicles) and school buses a valid Vehicle PSV Licence or Article 60 in the case of School buses must accompany application. 
Large Public Service Vehicles 1 year old or more require a DOE Pass Certificate from Authorised Department of Environment Test Centres. The current fee of €13.00 applies for a Certificate of Roadworthiness (CRW) in respect of large Public Service Vehicles.

• In the case of Agricultural Tractors, an Agricultural Declaration (available from Motor Tax Office) must be witnessed either at the Motor Tax Office or at a Garda station and submitted with tax application.


- Motor Caravans / Camper Vans applications require a valid DOE Pass Statement from an Authorised Test Centre in the following circumstances:

Motor caravans must be tested on the 4th anniversary of first registration and thereafter every two years. When the vehicle is 10 years old annual testing applies.


Kerry County Council, Co. Buildings, Rathass, Tralee

Phone: (066) 718 3500     Email:

  • cssimg
  • wai-aaaimg
  • xhtml image