End of Life Vehicles (ELVs)
The Waste Management (End-of-Life Vehicles) Regulations 2006 place obligations on producers – vehicle manufacturers and importers – to establish national collection systems for the appropriate treatment and recovery of end-of-life vehicles. Typically, an end-of-life vehicle will be a passenger car or a light commercial van that the registered owner wishes to dispose of as waste.
From 1 January 2007 owners of intact end-of-life cars and vans can deposit them free-of-charge at authorised treatment facilities.
The destruction of your vehicle must comply with the requirements of the Waste Management (End of Life) Regulations 2006. The Regulations introduced new environmental standards to ensure that materials are recovered and recycled in a way that does not harm the environment.
In the event of the destruction of passenger cars and light commercial vehicles (less than 3500kg gross vehicle weight), your Vehicle Registration Certificate / Licensing Certificate (tax book) must be surrendered to an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) where the vehicle is being deposited for destruction.
An ATF is a facility where the collection and storage and treatment of end-of-life vehicles may take place. Details of your local ATFs are set out below. Your vehicle can be deposited free of charge at the ATF.
Upon destruction of the vehicle, the ATF will issue you with a Certificate of Destruction, which should be forwarded to the Vehicle Registration Unit, Department of Transport, Shannon, Co. Clare, for updating onto the National Vehicle and Driver File system. This process will ‘lock down’ your vehicle registration number and ensure that no further transactions such as changes of vehicle ownership or renewal of motor tax can be recorded.
ELV Authorised Treatment Facilities in Kerry:
- Declan McGaley, Castleisland ,066-7143954 ,WP 24-03
- Michael Relihan ,Kilflynn ,066-7610317,WP 66-04
- JJ Walshe ,Lixnaw,066-7132143,WP 05-00
- Sean Treacy ,Killorglin ,066-9762204,WP 08-01
- Joe Savage ,Listowel ,068-21158,WP 05-54
- Donal Murhill ,Killarney ,064-6639946 ,WP 07-75
- South West Bins ,Listrim,Ardfert,068-21969 /087-9499055,WFP KY-11-0015-01
- Denis O’Sullivan,Asdee,086-3510478
- Michael Ahern,Killorglin,087-9821810
- Michael Dowd,Tralee,087-2528967
- Des Murphy,Tarbert,068-36119 / 087-6839119 / 086-8378548
- Kerry ELV Centre Ltd, Killarney,C/O Sean Treacy, Faha, Killarney,086-2526753