Repair & Leasing Scheme
Do you own a property (vacant for more than one year) in Kerry and are you willing to lease it to Kerry County Council?
The newly launched Repair and Leasing Scheme targets vacant properties as a possible source of social housing and provides property owners with an income stream that may be otherwise unavailable. The scheme provides that repair and improvement works to bring such properties up to the standard for rented accommodation are funded by Kerry County Council. The cost of the works is then deducted from rent/lease payments over an agreed lease term of at least 10 years.
There are a number of requirements in relation to the scheme:
- The Scheme is not available for private renting
- The property must be vacant for at least 12 months
- There has to be a social housing demand for the property locally
- The property has to be viable to provide accommodation
- The maximum cost of repairs allowable under the Scheme will be €40,000.
- The minimum lease term is dependent on the cost of repairs with a minimum lease period of 10 years and a maximum period of 20 years.
- The lease payments will be based on the general terms of social leasing which is set at 80% (85% for apartments) of the current market rental rates in the property location
- The scope and cost of the works are agreed between the owner and Kerry County Council
Properties in all areas will be considered but in particular the Council is anxious to source properties in the main towns and villages.
Why lease your property to Kerry County Council?
- Upgrade your property at no capital outlay from your own resources
- Guaranteed rent
- No loss of rent during vacant periods
- No collection of rent or finding a new tenant
- No dealing with tenants or routine maintenance
- No advertising costs
- Application Form
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Examples of Rent Calculations taking into account cost of works
- Sample of Property Inspection Form
(Checklist for Compliance of Minimum Standards in Rental Accommodation). Inspection will be carried out by Kerry County Council.
- Housing Standards For Rented Houses Amendment Regulations 2009
- Housing Standards For Rented Houses Regulations 2008
- Housing Standards For Rented Houses Regulations 2017