Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)

What is the Housing Assistance Payment?
Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a form of social housing support which replaced Rent Supplement for those with a long-term housing need.

Am I eligible to apply?
Persons applying for HAP must be a qualified housing applicant(s) before they can apply. Click here for information on applying for social housing.

How does it work?
If you are deemed qualified for social housing and HAP was recommended to you as a form of social housing support, you must find your own private rented accommodation (within specific rent caps). Kerry County Council will pay the landlord directly and the tenant will pay a rent to the Kerry County Council based on the differential rent scheme. The rent will be based on your weekly household income and works in a similar way to the differential rents charged for Kerry County Council houses.

See the links below for more detailed information.

This service is provided by the Housing Department, Kerry County Council located at Rathass, Tralee, Co Kerry V92 H7VT.

Tel: 066 7183855
Email: [email protected]

HAP Shared Services Centre

  • Landlord Payment Queries ONLY
    Tel: 061-556650
  • Tenant Rent Arrears Queries ONLY
    Tel:  061 556651

See the links below for more detailed information:

Tenant Information Booklet
Maximum Monthly Rent Limits

HAP online Portal

How do I apply for HAP?
If you are not yet on Kerry County Councils housing list, you will need to apply for social housing support – please click here for details on how to apply.

If you are already on the housing list, you can apply on-line or ask for a HAP application form by contacting the HAP Unit by telephone on 066-7183855 or by email at [email protected]. The form, whether you decide to submit it on-line or by post, only needs to be filled in when you have found suitable accommodation, or if you are already in private rented accommodation and eligible to transfer to HAP. If you are applying on-line, your landlord will need to register here HAP online Portal and submit all the required information. If you’re applying by post, your landlord will need to complete and sign part of the HAP application form.If you are in any doubt about whether your tenancy arrangement qualifies for HAP, please check with a member of the HAP team.

How much is the HAP rent payment in Kerry County Council?
Under HAP legislation, limits for HAP payments are based on the number of people in a household and the rental market in the locality. However, local authorities have limited additional flexibility to exceed rent limits on a case-by-case basis.

Please click here to view the current maximum HAP rent limits for Kerry County Council.

Can I pay a top up?
Where the monthly rent agreed with your landlord exceeds the maximum rent limit payable by your local authority on your behalf, you must pay the difference directly to your landlord. Please note your means to pay the additional rent will be assessed.

How much rent will I pay to Kerry County Council?
The rent paid by the tenant is based on their household income. It is calculated in the same way as the rent paid by a tenant of a local authority under the differential rents scheme.

How long does the lease have to be?
A two year tenancy is preferable. Your tenancy will be covered under the terms of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (as amended). This means that the tenancy agreement is, or will be, between you and your landlord (Kerry County Council is not party to the tenancy). You can find further information about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant on the RTB website www.rtb.ie

Can I move?
If a tenant wishes to end a residential tenancy where there is a valid lease, this will only be facilitated/approved in exceptional circumstances. A written request outlining the reason for the need to move is required. This should be submitted to the HAP Unit prior to moving.

What happens to my housing application?

When you sign up to HAP, you are provided with an opportunity to remain on the waiting list as a transfer applicant retaining your credit time.

Can I transfer to another housing support?
Yes. Any HAP recipient who wants to access other social housing supports can do so through the HAP transfer system operated by local authorities. Once in receipt of HAP, you can apply to transfer from HAP to other forms of social housing support such as local authority housing. As a HAP recipient, your likelihood of getting a different form of Social Housing Support is not affected by accepting HAP.

Can I apply for HAP in an area outside of Kerry County Council?
Where eligible applicants for HAP have found suitable accommodation in another local authority area, an application can be considered under the Inter-Authority movement initiative.  Applications are subject to certain qualification criteria.  For further information please contact the Kerry County Council’s HAP Unit.


Contact Us

Housing Dept,
Rathass, Tralee,
Co. Kerry
Housing Phone Extensions
Email:[email protected]

Translate »