Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)

What is the Housing Assistance Payment?
Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a form social housing support which replaced Rent Supplement for those with a long-term housing need.

How does it work?
If a person is deemed qualified for social housing and HAP was recommended to them as a form of social housing support, they must find their own private rented accommodation (within specific rent caps). Kerry County Council will pay the landlord directly and the tenant will pay a rent to the Kerry County Council based on the differential rent scheme. The rent will be based on their weekly household income and works in a similar way to the differential rents charged for Kerry County Council houses.

How long does the lease have to be?
A two-year tenancy is preferable. The tenancy will be covered under the terms of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (as amended). This means that the tenancy agreement is, or will be, between the tenant and the landlord (Kerry County Council is not party to the tenancy). You can find further information about your rights and responsibilities as a landlord on the RTB website www.rtb.ie

See the attached Landlord documents below for more detailed information.

This service is provided by the Housing Department, Kerry County Council located at Rathass, Tralee, Co Kerry V92 H7VT.

Tel: 066 7183855
Email: [email protected]

HAP Shared Services Centre

  • Landlord Payment Queries ONLY
    Tel: 061-556650
  • Tenant Rent Arrears Queries ONLY
    Tel:  061 556651

See the links below for more detailed information:
Landlord Information Booklet
Maximum Monthly Rent Limits

HAP online Portal

Contact Us

Housing Dept,
Rathass, Tralee,
Co. Kerry
Housing Phone Extensions
Email:[email protected]

Translate »