Repair & Leasing Scheme
Do you own a property (vacant for more than one year) in Kerry and are you willing to lease it to Kerry County Council?
The Repair and Leasing Scheme (RLS) is to deliver social housing by bringing vacant properties back into use. The scheme is targeted at owners of vacant properties who cannot afford or who do not have access to the funding required to bring the properties up to a standard for rental accommodation.
The local authority funds the repair works, the property is taken into social housing stock by way of a lease and the cost of the repairs is offset against the future rent.
There are a number of requirements in relation to the scheme:
- the property must be vacant for at least 12 months prior to submission: proof of vacancy will be required
- the scheme is not available for private renting
- there must be a social housing demand for the property locally
- the property has to be assessed as being viable to provide social housing
- funding is € 60,000 per unit, including VAT
- the property owner will pay for the cost of the repairs through an offset against the agreed rental payment until the value of the works is repaid
- there is a minimum lease term of 5 years and a maximum lease term of 25 years
- Rents will be agreed through negotiation with Kerry County Council
- the lease payments will be based on the general terms of social leasing which will be between 70% to 80% of the current market rental rates in the property location
- the scope and cost of the works are agreed between the property owner and Kerry County Council
- the property must be brought up to the minimum standards, to the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2019
- the property is required to be furnished
Properties in all areas will be considered but in particular the Council is anxious to source properties in the main towns and villages.
The main benefits for property owners:
- Guaranteed rent
- Upgrade of property that might otherwise become derelict
- No loss of rent during vacant periods
- No need to collect rent or find a new tenant
- No dealing with tenants or routine maintenance
- No advertising costs
Application forms can be submitted by email at [email protected]
The Application Form and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and further details are below or available by contacting the Housing Department by email at [email protected]